Travel Advice

We are no longer able to provide a dedicated travel service due to the vast increase in the current NHS workload in General Practice.

Listed below are useful websites you may access for up to date information regarding recommended vaccinations, mosquito avoidance, malarial advice and general travel advice for individual countries.

Also listed are available private travel centres which you can contact for further information and administration of vaccines.


Fit for travel: Provided by Health Protection and NHS Scotland


National Travel Health Network and Centre: Advice for Healthcare Professionals and others

Private Travel Centres

Lisburn Travel Clinic. Linenhall Street, Lisburn

Tel: 028 92501281

Lisburn Travel Clinic

Belfast Travel Clinic. Kerrsland Surgery, Upper Newtowards Road, Belfast

Tel: 03301004123

Kerrsland/MASTA Travel Clinic

Drs Dick/Harper Travel Clinic, Ballymena

Tel: 028 25313030 

Drs Dick/Harper Travel Clinic

Yellow Fever Centres

Portrush Medical Centre

Tel: 028 7040137

Portrush Medical Centre Yellow Fever advice

Drs Dick/Harper, Ballymena

Tel: 028 25313030

General Advice

  • Some vaccinations such as Tetanus, Diphtheria, Polio, Typhoid and Hepatitis A are available on NHS prescription and if you are advised at the travel centres that any of these vaccines are required we are happy to issue prescriptions and administer same free of charge.
  • Other non NHS vaccinations including Hepatitis B, Rabies, Japanese Encephalitis, Meningitis, and Yellow Fever will have to be paid for and administered by the staff at the travel clinic.
  • Generally anti-malarial tablets have to be issued on a private prescription and again this can be supplied by the private travel clinic.
  • Other medication you may wish to take on holiday which you do not normally take e.g. antibiotics, to use in the event you are cannot be provided on an NHS script and require a private prescription which you will have to pay for.
  • You are also encouraged to ensure you have arranged appropriate travel insurance for your planned trip and consider applying for the EHIC cards which can be applied for online and will ensure you are entitled to state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in an EEA country. EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until you return home and treatment may be free but on occasions will require a small fee depending on the individual country.
  • If there is any concern regarding safety of tap water, ensure you bottled water for brushing teeth or use boiled sterilised water. You should avoid using ice cubes or eating food which has not been washed with clean water such as fruit or salads.
  • It may be advisable to buy anti diarrhoeal tablets e.g. Loperamide, and rehydration sachets e.g. Dioralyte, if you have concerns regarding the risk of diarrhoeal illness. Ensure you drink lots of clear fluid to prevent dehydration.
  • It is advisable to avoid drinking excess alcohol when abroad.
  • Avoid excessive sun exposure which is at its most intense between 11am and 3pm.
  • Insect repellent which contains high percentage ( > 60% ) of DEET can help protect from insect bites, as can wearing appropriate clothing to reduce exposure to bites.

Mountsandel Travel Advice Leaflet for patients

Health and Social CareThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website